Division 179 announces 2020 scholarship winners
By KATE MOSTACCIO
Nine students are the recipients of one-time $500 scholarships for the upcoming school year, awarded by PEF Division 179, which includes members from the state Office of General Services (OGS) and Division of Homeland Security & Emergency Services (DHSES).
“The scholarship has been in place for quite some time to invest in our future, our children and our family members, who sacrifice for the added duties our members face each day,” said Division 179 Council Leader John Buttino. “Over the years, a very rewarding group of individuals have won the award. We trust in this investment in the future and look forward to seeing what the future holds.”
Each scholarship is awarded to a student for attendance at a two- or four-year college or university working toward an associate or bachelor’s degree starting with the fall 2020 semester.
In the interest of reaching the most division members, only one winner is permitted per member family (although multiple students in the same family may apply), and each applicant may only win one award per his or her college career.
The winners this year are:
- Henry Wooster, the son of OGS member Charles Wooster, who is attending Hartwick College;
- Rishi Shankar, the son of OGS member Ajai Shankar, who is attending Temple University;
- Bobbi Brill, the daughter of OGS member Allyson Youdsavage, who is attending SUNY Buffalo State College;
- Rachel Clark, the daughter of OGS member Will Clark, who is attending SUNY Albany;
- Jaeda Curtis, the daughter of DHSES member Tammy Leone-Curtis, who is attending Ithaca College;
- Daniel Bloomer, the son of DHSES member Valerie Bloomer, who is attending the University of New England;
- Jaskiran Dhinsa, the daughter of OGS member Sukhjit Singh, who is attending Cornell University;
- Elizabeth Buttino, daughter of DHSES member John Buttino, who is attending Trocaire College; and
- Julia Guiton, the daughter of OGS Bob Guiton, who is attending SUNY Brockport.