Proposed AFT/SEIU Call and Rules
American Federation of Teachers and Service Employees International Union Conventions
For AFT and SEIU conventions the following rules apply:
1. In order to be nominated, a dues-paying member must obtain the signatures of fifty (50) other members from within the designated title groupings for this convention (see listings).
2. A nominee may not sign his/her own petition.
3. A member may sign only one (1) nominating petition.
4. The accuracy of the information contained in the petition is the responsibility of the person filing the petition.
5. Nominating forms will be available to be picked up at all Local PEF Offices on January 8, 2020 at 9:00 AM. Petitions will also be posted by 9:00 AM on January 8, 2020 at www.pef.org/elections. Faxing is not allowed. All petitions must be returned either by hand delivery to your local PEF Office or by United States mail as follows:
Hand delivered: Petitions will be accepted at the Local PEF Office or PEF Headquarters during regular business hours 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday. The deliverer will receive a receipt that is signed, date and time stamped. Petitions are due by 5:00 PM on January 30, 2020.
— OR —
Mailed: Original petitions must be returned to PEF-Albany Headquarters c/o Divisions Department at PO Box 12414, Albany, NY 12212-2414 no later than 5:00 PM on January 30, 2020.
6. Petitions may be returned by certified mail (return receipt requested), although this is not required. Certified mail sometimes takes longer than regular mail. Postal failures or inadequacies are a matter between the mailer and the post office, not the Elections Committee. Allow five (5) days or more for mailing to be safe. PEF sends each nominee a notice of receipt.
7. Per the PEF Constitution and Executive Board policy, the five (5) statewide officers are automatic delegates to the AFT and SEIU Conventions.
8. In addition to the statewide officers, a minimum of ten (10) elected delegates will comprise the PEF delegation to the convention for AFT’s and twenty (20) for SEIU’s.
9. (a) If ten (10) or fewer valid nominating petitions are received, those individuals who submitted a valid petition will be deemed duly elected for AFT.
(b) If twenty (20) or fewer valid nominating petitions are received, those individuals who submitted a valid petition will be deemed duly elected for SEIU.
10. The Secretary-Treasurer will provide the Delegate Election Committee with the estimated cost of sending one delegate to the forthcoming AFT and SEIU Conventions. In addition, the Secretary-Treasurer will provide the committee with a cost estimate for holding an election. The committee will determine the breakdown of the total number of delegates that could attend the convention, compared with the cost of holding an election. This will be determined by dividing the cost of holding an election by the cost of sending one delegate to the convention. If the total number of valid petitions received is equal to or fewer than the break-even number, all eligible members who submitted valid petitions up to our maximum number of delegates allotted will be deemed duly elected. This will be based on petition date/time received order up to the maximum number of delegates allotted. Those members that have submitted valid petitions over the maximum number of delegates allotted will be considered alternates in the date/time order of petition(s) received.
11. If the number of valid petitions received is greater than the break-even total (see #10), an election will be held. Alternates will fill the delegate openings by rank order of the number of votes received in the election. Ties will be broken by random drawing.
– No EOL (Employee Organization Leave) will be provided for delegates attending the AFT/SEIU Conventions.
– Travel and lodging will be arranged and provided by PEF.
– A per-diem allowance for meals will be provided by PEF.
Site: Houston, TX
Dates: July 27 – 30, 2020
PEF title groups eligible to attend the AFT convention:
A, B, C, D, F, Q and S.
Site: Chicago, IL
Dates: April 24 – 27, 2020
PEF title groups eligible to attend the SEIU convention: E, G, H, J, K, M, N, O, P and R.
Dates To Remember
A. Nominating petitions will be available at all PEF offices for potential candidates to pick up during regular office hours starting 9 a.m. – January 8, 2020 and are due back by 5 p.m. – January 30, 2020.
B. Elections (if needed) will begin with ballots being mailed by February 7, 2020 with a return date of 5 p.m. March 2, 2020.
AFT PEF job-title groupings
A. Nurses and related nursing titles.
B. Engineers, right-of-way agents, designers, architects, drafting and related engineering technicians, pilots and conservation titles.
C. Teachers, librarians, trainers and related educational titles.
D. Doctors, dentists, psychiatrists, psychologists, dieticians,
veterinarians, pharmacists, health-care, home-economists and related medical researchers.
F,Q,S. Chaplains, scientists, cultural affairs specialists, related artists and sciences professionals, management personnel and related administration specialists, planners and supervisors.
SEIU PEF job-title groupings
E. Social workers and social services.
G. Attorneys, referees, hearing officers, hearing examiners, mediators and judges.
H. Therapists, rehabilitators.
J. Parole officers, drug abuse counselors, and related law enforcement professionals.
K, R. Computer professionals, superintendents, maintenance specialists, technicians and skilled tradesmen.
M. Claim examiners, investigators and inspectors.
N. All counselors.
O. Interviewers, manpower specialist, OJT specialists, apprenticeship reps., consultants and field reps.
P. Accountants, auditors, estimators, statisticians, examiners, appraisers, analysts, head clerks and reporters.
CLICK HERE to view all stories featured in the Communicator!