TO: Statewide Officers, Regional Coordinators, Executive Board, Council Leaders and Regional PAC Chairs
FROM: Wayne Spence, President
DATE: February 23, 2018
RE: 2018 SOMOS Albany Conference
The Annual SOMOS Conference is scheduled for March 9-11, 2018 at the Empire State Plaza, Albany. PEF will continue our long standing support of SOMOS, Inc., by hosting a booth in the Exhibitor. Area and participating in Conference weekend events.
IMPORTANT REGISTRATION INFORMATION
SOMOS, Inc. has implemented an important procedural change this year. Registration is now required for admittance to all conference activities including receptions and legislative forums. Attendees must pay a registration fee of $200 per person (if purchased with a Gala Dinner ticket or $225 if purchased separately).
The Registration Fee includes attendance to the following Conference Events:
Friday, March 9:
• Exhibit Booths & Career Fair – 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
• Bienvenida/Welcome Reception – 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Saturday, March 10:
• Labor Breakfast – 8:00 am – 9:30 am
• Exhibit Booths & Career Fair – 9:30 am – 5:00 pm
• Workshops (Group 1) – 10:00 am – 11:45 am
• Workshops (Group 2) – 2:00 pm – 3:30 pm
• Dominican Reception – 3:30 pm – 5:30 pm
• Chairman’s Reception – 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm
Sunday, March 11:
• Despedida “Farewell” Brunch – 11:00 am – 1:00 pm
The following events are not included in the Registration Fee. Additional tickets must be obtained to attend:
Saturday, March 10:
• “Entre Nosotras” Luncheon – 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm.
(This event is by invitation only. Tickets cannot be purchased. They must be requested through Assemblyperson Carmen Arroyo’s Office.)
• SOMOS Gala Dinner – 7:00 pm – 10:00 pm & After SOMOS Gala Dinner Fiesta
Tickets must be purchased in advance. Cost per person is $275.00. Individuals do not have to purchase a Registration to attend the Gala Dinner.
Ticket and Payment Information:
• PEF has purchased a limited number of “SOMOS Registration and Gala Dinner Package” tickets. The tickets are available for purchase by divisions or individual members through PEF at a cost of $275.00 each. PEF will cover the cost of the Registration Fee for the tickets purchased in this block only. Please note, due to budgetary concerns, PEF can only pay for a limited number of registrations. Once these tickets are assigned, Divisions or individuals will be responsible for the cost of the Registration Fee and/or Gala Dinner.
• All ticket requests must be submitted by completing the attached registration form and received by March 6, 2018.
• Divisions are encouraged to assist members with travel, lodging, and meal expenses for this conference. If Divisions are covering the cost of the Gala Dinner tickets, registration forms must be completed and signed by the Council Leader.
• Members purchasing tickets on their own must submit the completed form with a personal check.
PEF can assist with hotel reservations if your room is being paid for by a PEF Region or Division. Please contact Cassandra Toro at 800-342-4306, ext. 211 or gro.f1596751952ep@or1596751952otc1596751952 by March 2 to make reservations.
• For conference attendees making hotel arrangements on their own, a list of hotels in the Albany area is attached. Additional information about the Conference can be found at the Somos website: http://somosnewyork.org/
Due to budgetary considerations and time constraints within the agenda, PEF will not host a Legislative Reception this year. PEF is proud to once again support the 2018 SOMOS Albany Conference. Please share this information with your members and thank you in advance for your continued support. If you have any questions, please contact Kim Partridge at (800) 342-4306, ext. 235 or gro.f1596751952ep@eg1596751952dirtr1596751952apk1596751952.
cc: President, PEF Black Caucus Upstate Chair, PEF Black Caucus Chair, PEF Hispanic Committee PEF Black Caucus, PEF Hispanic Committee PEF Caribbean-American Committee, PEF Indo-American Committee PEF Jewish Committee, PEF LGBTQ Committee PEF Veterans’ Committee, PEF Women’s Committee PEF Accounting Department, PEF Communications Department PEF Legislative Department
DOWNTOWN ALBANY AREA (within walking distance to the Empire State Plaza):
Hilton Albany Downtown
40 Lodge Street, Albany / 518-462-6611
Fairfield Inn and Suites Downtown Albany (formerly 74 State Hotel)
74 State Street, Albany / 518-434-7410 / www.74state.com
Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown Albany
25 Chapel Street, Albany / 518-478-8104 / http://www.hamptonsuitesalbany.com
Renaissance Albany Hotel
144 State Street, Albany / 518-992-2500
Holiday Inn Express Downtown Albany
300 Broadway, Albany / (800) 465-4329 / www.expressalbany.com
DOWNTOWN ALBANY AREA (NOT within walking distance to the Empire State Plaza):
Hilton Garden Inn at Albany Medical Center
62 New Scotland Avenue, Albany / (518) 396-3500
Towne Place Suites/Albany Downtown/Medical Center
22 Holland Avenue, Albany / 518-860-1500
Fairfield Inn & Suites Albany/East Greenbush
124 Troy Road, East Greenbush / 518-477-7984
Holiday Inn Express & Suites East Greenbush (Albany Skyline)
8 Empire Drive, Rensselaer / 518-286-1011
WOLF ROAD AREA:
Desmond Hotel & Conference Center
660 Albany-Shaker Road, Albany / 518-869-8100 / http://www.desmondhotelsalbany.com
Staybridge Suites / 39 Wolf Road, Albany / 518-438-3300
For additional hotels in the Albany area: Albany Convention and Visitors Bureau at: http://www.albany.org