Safety & Health Initiatives Program [SHIP] 2015-2016
We encourage you to apply for a Safety and Health Initiative Program [SHIP] grant under Article 18.4 of the 2015-2016 NYS/PEF Contract. The SHIP provides grant funding, up to a maximum of $15,000, to assist in the development of safety and health programs and training. These grants can be used to support a variety of initiatives. We encourage you to consult with the Statewide Committee Co-Chairs and PEF staff in your grant development process so that we may suggest qualified program and training providers and assist with grant development. We have purposefully tried to simplify the grant application process. A good starting point in selecting a project is to evaluate which job hazards are causing injury, illness, and workers’ compensation costs.
Examples of fundable projects:
- Infection Control Certification Training
- Workplace Violence Prevention Program – Beyond Regulatory Mandate
- Back Injury/Ergonomics Program and Training
- Safe Patient Handling
- Bloodborne Pathogens and TB Training – Beyond Regulatory
- Slips, Trips, and Falls Training
- Hazard Assessment
- Health & Safety Program Development
- Health & Safety Committee Training
- Right-to-Know Training – Beyond Regulatory
- Emergency Preparedness/Response
We encourage multi-agency or statewide projects. A project may include employees of other bargaining units as long as PEF-represented employees benefit from it.
We have funded some very successful grant applications and the Article 18 Committee will continue to accept applications for the SHIP Grants.
To help you with your grant process and to give you some ideas, we will update this page with the SHIP Applications that have been approved.
Examples of Funded SHIP GRANTS
- OMRDD – Western NY DDSO – Anger Management/Violence Prevention
- OMRDD – Western NY DDSO – Violence in the Workplace – Creating a Respectful Environment
- OMRDD – Bernard Fineson DDSO – Dually Diagnosed Teleconference
- ENCON – Pesticide Control Specialist Safety & Health Training
- OASAS – Violence Intervention and Training Program
SHIP Guidelines and Application
If you have any questions or need assistance in completing the application, please contact PEF Health & Safety at 800-342-4306 ext. 254 or via fax: 518-250-7839.