Special elections resume to fill open board seats
By SHERRY HALBROOK
Because no candidates were certified in the PEF Triennial Election this year for 10 seats on the PEF Executive Board, they remain vacant and are the subject of the third-quarter special election to fill board vacancies.
“Members submitted nominating petitions for some of these seats in the Triennial Election, but the prospective candidates could not be certified for reasons such as insufficient signatures, untimeliness or other issues,” said PEF Divisions Coordinator Kristie Furman. “I am hopeful many or all of these seats will be filled in this quarterly special election.”
Successful candidates will serve the remainder of three-year terms that end July 31, 2021.
The vacant seats subject to this third-quarter special election are:
• Board Seat 1, which represents members working for the state Department of Agriculture and Markets;
• Board Seat 50, which represents members working for the state Department of Corrections and Community Supervision at Green Haven, Taconic, Bedford Hills, Sing Sing, Edgecomb, Lincoln, and Queensboro correctional facilities, as well as at the New York City administrative office;
• Board Seat 177, which represents members working for the state Office of Information Technology Services in project titles (NS) and other titles salary grade 25 and higher that are not included in any other Executive Board constituency;
• Board Seat 225, which represents members working for the state Labor Department in PEF Regions 1-4;
• Board Seat 325, which represents PEF Region 9 members working for the state Office of Mental Health at Central NY Psychiatric Center, Mid-Hudson PC or for the OMH main office;
• Board Seat 385, which represents PEF Region 11 members working for the state Office of Mental Health at South Beach Children’s Services;
• Board Seat 425, which represents PEF members working for the state Department of Public Service;
• Board Seat 460, which represents PEF members working for the state Department of State;
• Board Seat 540, which represents members working at Narcotic and Drug Research Inc. and at Eastern Niagara Hospital in Lockport; and
• Board Seat 545, which represents members working in the following political subdivisions of New York state: Albany Housing Authority; Albany County Probation; and Allegany County.
Nominating petitions will become available October 3 and must be submitted by October 25. Nominees must have been a member of PEF since April 26, 2018.
If only one candidate is certified for a seat, that candidate will be seated. If more than one candidate for a seat is certified, ballots will be mailed by the American Arbitration Association November 23 to constituents of that seat. Ballots must be returned by December 17 for counting by AAA December 18.