PEF PAC continues political endorsements process
By SHERRY HALBROOK
As the national and state political process moves forward toward the general election November 6, PEF continues to tweak a few of its candidate endorsements. The vast majority of these endorsements was made by the Executive Board at its August meeting and was published in the September issue of The Communicator (Page 10 and 11).
Because the endorsements for some seats were left unmade by the board and it will not meet again before the general election, the PEF Political Action Committee is taking up some of those endorsements after the September 13 primary elections determined which candidates will actually appear on the November ballot. Since some candidates that were endorsed in August were eliminated by the primary election, some endorsements being made now are replacing candidates selected by the PEF board in August.
The PAC met September 20th and made the following post-primary endorsements:
U.S. House of Representatives
• 18th Congressional District (Orange, Putnam, Dutchess and Westchester counties) – Sean Patrick Maloney;
• 13th Senate District (Queens County) – Jessica Ramos;
• 18th SD (Kings County) – Julia Salazar; and
• 53rd SD (Madison, Oneida and Onondaga counties) – Janet Burman;
• 18th Assembly District (Nassau County) – Taylor Raynor;
• 39th AD (Queens County) – Catalina Cruz;
• 104th AD (Dutchess, Orange and Ulster counties) – Jonathan Jacobson;
• 107th AD (Washington, Rensselaer and Columbia counties) – Tistrya Houghtling; and
• 117th AD (Jefferson, Lewis, Oneida and St. Lawrence counties) – No endorsement
Additional endorsements may be forthcoming when the PEF PAC meets again in October prior to the union’s 2018 Convention in Lake Placid. — Sherry Halbrook