In spite of some naysayers, whose aim is to throw us off track, my team along with the PEF legislative staff and you – the PEF members – have so far done an amazing job answering our call to participate in the PEF budget fightback.
I want to thank everyone who has written a letter, made phone calls, visited legislators and attended budget hearings. Many of you have spoken out eloquently at budget hearings. Each and every one of these actions help to ensure our unified voice is heard by our legislators, our communities and the governor.
With only a few weeks left to advocate for our budget priorities, I want to review with you what they are and ask for your participation in this final push.
Our budget priorities include opposing:
- Fast track closure of state facilities;
- Expansion of the use of Design-Build;
- Continued financial assault on SUNY’s three teaching hospitals;
- Allowing locally-operated jails to establish mental health units;
- Limiting disciplinary options and reducing the amount of time inmates can be placed in the special housing unit (SHU);
- Continued erosion of the civil service system;
- Expansion of public-private partnerships;
- Harmful proposals that impact retirees.
For details on each, please take a moment to review the PEF 2019-2020 Budget Priorities Fact Sheet and then call your local legislator or send a pre-written letter directly to your elected senator and assemblyperson. All you have to do to send the letter is click submit:
- Civil Service Erosion
- Design Build
- Downsizing at State Agencies
- Closing New York State Prisons
- Jail Based Restoration of Competency
- Retiree Health Care
- SUNY Hospital Funding
- SHU Letter
We have a lot of work to do in the next few weeks. Our message since our last convention is “Winning The Future Together.” This has never been more true than right at this moment. We are Union Strong! #WinningTheFutureTogether