Nominees sought for 5 open Executive Board seats
By SHERRY HALBROOK
Two mid-term vacancies on the PEF Executive Board have been filled by special elections. Be Ha fills Seat 125, representing members at the state Office of General Services, and Christine Werns fills seat 235, representing most of the PEF Region 8 members at the state Labor Department. They were the sole certified candidates for these seats. The term ends July 31, 2018.
No candidates were certified to fill mid-term vacancies in the following Executive Board seats:
• Board Seat 130, which represents members working at the state Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, as well as the Adirondack Park Agency and the Lake George Park Commission;
• Board Seat 545, which represents members working in the following political subdivisions of New York state: Albany Housing Authority; Albany County Probation; and Allegany County.
Nominations of candidates for Seats 130 and 545 will be included in the 2018 first quarter special elections that begin in January.
Three new mid-term vacancies have occurred and they also will be included in the first quarter special elections. These new vacancies are in:
• Board Seat 110, which represents members at the state Department of Environmental Conservation in DEC Regions 5-9;
• Board Seat 160, which represents members at NYS Homes and Community Renewal in Manhattan, Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn, Syracuse and Buffalo; and
• Board Seat 510, which represents members in state Transportation Department Region 8, Poughkeepsie, which is PEF Division 172.
The first quarter election cycle begins with the availability of nominating petitions January 17, 2018. Those petitions must be submitted by February 7. If more than one candidate is certified for an office, ballots will be mailed March 1 to constituents of that office. Those ballots must be returned to the American Arbitration Association by March 22 for counting March 23.